The benefits of the new T Level education reforms are explained in a new Enterprise M3 animation, to encourage businesses to link up with schools, colleges and other training providers to support the next generation of employees and entrepreneurs.
T Levels launch in September 2020, focusing initially on three subjects – digital, construction, education and childcare. They are equivalent to 3 A Levels and combine classroom theory with practical learning.
Crucially, they involve a 45-day industry placement to ensure that students have real experience of the workplace and can put their newly-acquired skills into practice.
Enterprise M3 LEP is asking businesses to help inspire young people to become “work ready” and offer high-quality placements to those enrolling on T Level courses. There are many benefits for businesses involved:
- Developing a cost-e¬ffective recruitment pipeline of talent for entry-level jobs
- Building the skills and capacity of your business
- Having extra resources for day-to-day projects
- Making a more diverse and creative workforce
- Bringing in imaginative and new ideas
- Giving your staff¬ the opportunity to upskill in coaching and mentoring young people
- Providing a positive experience for a local young person
There will be a great deal of support for businesses offering placements, provided by Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership, local training providers – Farnborough College of Technology and Peter Symonds College, Winchester – and central Government, through the Education and Skills Funding Agency and National Apprenticeship Service.
Enterprise M3 chief executive Kathy Slack said: “Businesses have an important role in the success of T Level qualifications. A young person’s prospects and the future quality and diversity of skills available in the Enterprise M3 region, depend on the action of businesses working with partners , to nurture and support the next generation of workers and entrepreneurs. As an enterprise region leading hi-tech growth across the UK and Europe, investing in our local people and local growth is important to the continuing success of our region.”
T Levels will involve students acquiring in-depth technical knowledge and be 80 per cent classroom-based with the remaining 20 per cent on industry placement. Apprenticeships, by contrast, are typically 80 per cent on-the-job and 20 per cent in the classroom and more suited for those who feel ready to enter the workforce. Work experience is typically much shorter, often just 1-2 weeks, and arranged by schools before GCSEs to give students a brief taste of being in work.